Kernel 2.6.18-1.2200 beeps too often - adjust frequency, duration ?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 18 22:33:08 UTC 2006

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> said:
>> I have seen the messages that note how to disable the module.
>> Hoever, is there any way to adjust frequency or sound of the BELL to
>> sound more like a bell than like an error noise ?  Even just a very
>> short click would be nicer {it is useful to have the noise, but not so
>> loud and ugly of a sound}.
>
> man setterm (for text console)
> man xset (for under X)
Thanks Chris, the man says X conforms to the underlying hardware
capabilities. In my case I found:
$ xset b 0..19  :turns off
$ xset b 20..100:turns on =same level
So volume is digital off v on

$ xset b 20 100 :vol=on, freq=100Hz
$ xset b 20 40  :vol=on, freq=40Hz
$ xset b 20 8000:vol=on, freq=8kHz

$ xset b 20 440 0..9    :vol=on, freq=440Hz, duration=0ms=no sound
$ xset b 20 440 10..1000:vol=on, freq=440Hz, duration=10..1000msec

$ xset b 20 110 10: is reasonable for an otherwise quiet environment.

Also, while my hardware couldn't control the volume, you can set the
frequency to be in the less efficient frequency range of the speaker eg
below 50 Hz, or above 7000 Hz.

Is /etc/rc.local the place to put such an incantation for permanent use?

Any way to modify the pattern to be lo-high for success, hi-low for fail?

DaveT.