Kernel 2.6.18-1.2200 beeps too often

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Oct 18 23:02:40 UTC 2006

Leo wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Following the kernel update in FC5, a few people (including me) have
> noticed that their computers beep almost everywhere.
>
> The culprit is kernel module pcspkr, which is loaded in Kernel
> 2.6.18-1.2200.

What really happened was that the kernel package was broken for a couple
years or so in Fedora, in that it didn't load the pcspkr module. Hence,
all Fedora users have been "trained" to not hear the PC speaker beeping
at appropriate times.
It was really a bug since several apps (Gaim, XChat, xterm) depend on
the PC speaker to send audio cues to the user.
Finally, the 2.6.18-1.2200 fixed the bug.

Now the Fedora kernel works just like the kernel of most other
distributions.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/