VMware server cannot run on FC6

Jason Montleon monty19 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 28 22:10:38 UTC 2006

I don't know how easy it is to remove #include <linux/config.h> from the
code for everything, but in order to get VMware Server working, (I found
this when struggling with the same problem), I created config.h:

create /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i686/include/linux/config.h with
the contents:
#ifndef _LINUX_CONFIG_H
#define _LINUX_CONFIG_H
/* This file is no longer in use and kept only for backward compatibility.
 * autoconf.h is now included via -imacros on the commandline
 */
#include <linux/autoconf.h>
#if !defined (__KERNEL__) && !defined(__KERNGLUE__)
#error including kernel header in userspace; use the glibc headers instead!
#endif
#endif

Probably not the best way to go about it, but it worked getting VMWare
Server going...