Fedora(rawhide) and XFCE 4.4 beta 2

Kevin Fenzi kevin-redhat-beta at scrye.com
Sun Sep 3 16:04:39 UTC 2006

Paul> Erik Harrison wrote:
>> On 9/3/06, Paul Michael Reilly <pmr at pajato.com> wrote:
>>> I bit the bullet and installed Xfce 4.4 beta 2
>>> (xfce4-4.3.90.2-installer.bin) on my rawhide system.  I installed
>>> it to /usr/local thinking that putting /usr/local/bin on my PATH
>>> variable before /usr/bin would cause the beta2 executables to run
>>> before any yum installed (fedora-extras-development.repo) Xfce 4.2
>>> executables (/usr/bin) so my first question is: was/is this
>>> wishful thinking (that I could have both 4.4 beta 2 and 4.2
>>> installed to the same system and not encounter serious issues)?
>> Officially I believe having multiple installs is unsupported. Some
>> of us devs do it (I do not) and in the past, attempts have lead to
>> major library conflicts

Paul> No problem.  I realize full well that I am pursuing a high risk
Paul> course. FWIW I faced the choice of using the supported (Fedora)
Paul> Xfce 4.2 (getting real stale), using a developer repo that a
Paul> RedHat dude created with Xfce 4.4 beta 1 or biting the bullet
Paul> and installing Xfce 4.4 beta 2.  The latter was most appealing
Paul> to me even though it is fraught with risk.

You might be refering to my Xfce4.4 beta repository here. I don't work
for RedHat, I do maintain Xfce in fedora extras however. ;)

I unfortunately choose 'xfce-4.4b1' in the repo name when I created
it, but it does have the latest b2 packages in it. I expect to also be
packaging up the rc1 packages as they come out later today
(hopefully).

I would appreciate any feedback on the beta packages...

>>> I am running a dual head configuration (individual displays rather
>>> than xinerama).  There are two issues that pop up immediately that
>>> I need to solve:
>>>
>>> 1) there is a bar across the top of both displays that appears to
>>> be an orphaned panel, i.e. I cannot get rid of it (the original
>>> panel that was at the top has been moved to the bottom of screen 0
>>> and works just fine there.

Paul> I was able to solve this problem.  I killed two taskbar
Paul> processes, saved and then restarted the session.  They were
Paul> gone.  This says to me that Xfce 4.2 cruft was stored in the
Paul> saved session.

Yeah. :(

>>> 2) I cannot seem to use the settings->panel manager dialog to
>>> accomplish much with the second display.  When I click on the box
>>> representing the second display the dialog disappears along with
>>> all the applications running in the fist display.  I will need to
>>> repeat this a few more times before I can accurately describe what
>>> is really going on, so this description represents my first take.
>>>
>> I'm not sure what to tell you here. I don't believe any of the
>> primary devs use Xinerama so support has always been based on heavy
>> reliance on user testing. So ordinarily I'd encourage you to file
>> some detailed bug reports. But since you have two versions of Xfce
>> installed....

Paul> which means it will probably be a waste of my time, so I will
Paul> hold off until Fedora supports xfce 4.4 in rawhide, something
Paul> I'm not expecting anytime soon.  Hopefully by that time I will
Paul> have pulled out enough arrows to add value to that
Paul> discussion/process. :-)

I also don't have any Xinerama setups, so not sure I can assis here
either.

I haven't updated Xfce in rawhide yet as the current release is
4.4beta2. I don't want to put in a beta and have that be released with
fc6. If the rc1 or rc2 are pretty stable and in time, I might be able
to get it in before fc6 goes out...

FWIW, I am running devel on my laptop and using the beta2 rpms from my
repository, and have only run into a few snags.

Paul> -pmr

kevin