Removing unwanted xorg-x11-drv packages

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Sep 5 22:43:30 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 04:42:19PM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> The total disk space used by all X drivers combined is extremely
> small, both in terms of megabytes, and in terms of dollars of disk
> space.  Small enough on the scale of care, to be totally
> negligible.

That is a value judgement. It may well be accurate for us folks in
North America or Europe. However, it may not be accurate for someone
struggling in a non-profit, or for someone in Africa or Asia.

This sort of decision, across a lot of packages, has lead to Fedora
bloat, making it less attractive to people on tight budgets. For
another example, do we really need CD writing software in order to run
gnome? Well, not if the machine doesn't have a CD burner.

To paraphrase Lyndon Johnson, a megabyte here, a megabyte there,
pretty soon it adds up.

What we need is a generic dummy application. It pops up, or prints to
stdout, as appropriate, something like, "Sorry but %s is not
installed. Please install it, as root, like so: 'yum install
%s'. Thank you." where %s is the name of the app the user wanted.