Removing unwanted xorg-x11-drv packages

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Sep 5 23:11:48 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 04:43:30PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> That is a value judgement. It may well be accurate for us folks in
> North America or Europe. However, it may not be accurate for someone
> struggling in a non-profit, or for someone in Africa or Asia.

It used to be one package so its an improvement already. It will save
update bandwidth and in the future can get better

> What we need is a generic dummy application. It pops up, or prints to
> stdout, as appropriate, something like, "Sorry but %s is not
> installed. Please install it, as root, like so: 'yum install
> %s'. Thank you." where %s is the name of the app the user wanted.

You can probably do that with the current infrastructure. Pull the yum
package headers, parse for /usr/bin /usr/sbin etc paths for executables
and ln -s them all to a python app which can do X or command line.

Little project for someone perhaps

Alan