Removing unwanted xorg-x11-drv packages

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Wed Sep 6 16:25:22 UTC 2006

Charles Curley wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 04:42:19PM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>> The total disk space used by all X drivers combined is extremely
>> small, both in terms of megabytes, and in terms of dollars of disk
>> space.  Small enough on the scale of care, to be totally
>> negligible.
>
> That is a value judgement. It may well be accurate for us folks in
> North America or Europe. However, it may not be accurate for someone
> struggling in a non-profit, or for someone in Africa or Asia.

My point is that installed system disk-space usage of the video
and input drivers was not part of the deciding factor that went
into choosing to modularize the drivers - regardless of wether
or not somebody out there might have some benefit of not
installing all of the drivers.

I've stated this only because some people might mistakenly be of
the opinion that the modularization of X was done to make it
possible to reduce the space used by drivers on an installed
system, and that very much was not the case.

--
Mike A. Harris * Open Source Advocate * http://mharris.ca

Linux fans:  Check out Tym Morrison's hit new heavy metal single
"Only Linux" at http://tymmorrison.com - If you would like to support
this great Canadian metal artist and open source fanatic, you can buy
a copy of Tym's Solo Project CD at the "Buy CD" link on his site.