Removing unwanted xorg-x11-drv packages

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Sep 6 16:40:42 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 05 September 2006 18:43, Charles Curley wrote:
> That is a value judgement. It may well be accurate for us folks in
> North America or Europe. However, it may not be accurate for someone
> struggling in a non-profit, or for someone in Africa or Asia.
>
> This sort of decision, across a lot of packages, has lead to Fedora
> bloat, making it less attractive to people on tight budgets. For
> another example, do we really need CD writing software in order to run
> gnome? Well, not if the machine doesn't have a CD burner.
>
> To paraphrase Lyndon Johnson, a megabyte here, a megabyte there,
> pretty soon it adds up.

Think of modular X along the same lines as the kernel modules.  You may get a
kernel update because of a problem in some module that you may not be using,
but we package all the modules up in one package set.  Separating them all
out does NOT make sense, whereas it does for Xorg.  If you're building for
extremely tight places, you're probably rebuilding the kernel and only
bringing in the modules you need.  Do the same for X.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora