Rawhide install 9/10

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Sep 10 17:04:12 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 10:59:02AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> xorg.conf is supposed to be dead minimal.  It figures things out by probing
> the monitor and video card. It will choose the highest agreeable resolution
> to use.  You can override with a personal (IE per user) preference for
> resolution using System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution.

Unfortunately this is based upon a set of bogus suppositions.

> Your X should Just Work with very minimal content in xorg.conf.  Please file a
> bug with your monitor and video card information if this is not working for
> you.

It doesn't (not because of X but due to the display), and system-config-display
doesn't let me set the resolution so the end result is that gdm isn't usable
and this isn't fixable.

And the bugs about system-config-display are filed, have been for a while.
Once they get fixed so you can set the gdm mode then I agree the personal
preferences for modes will be great.

Alan