cups

Mick Mearns off_by_1 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 05:44:06 UTC 2006

Hello list;
  I have noticed a red fail message when I boot.

"Starting cups: cupsd: Child exited with status 1!"

I looke dthe message up on the web and the advice given was that you
ned to start cupsd as root.

[root at localhost ~]# whoami
root
[root at localhost ~]# service cups start
Starting cups: cupsd: Child exited with status 1!
                                                           [FAILED]
[root at localhost ~]# rpm -qa cups*
cups-1.2.3-3
cups-libs-1.2.3-3
cups-lpd-1.2.3-3
cups-devel-1.2.3-3

[root at localhost ~]# uname -r
2.6.17-1.2630.fc6

cupsdconf gives:
Unable to retrieve configuration file from the CUPS server.
You probably don't have the access permissions to perform this
operation.

any ideas? - it was working a few days ago.

Mick M.

Death before Decaf!!!