yum-updated running confuses yum?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Sep 15 20:48:33 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 13:19 -0700, frob at rtdti.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am I just lame, or should I have to stop yum-updatesd service
> to get yum to work from the command line or pirut from
> Applications/Add/Remove SW menu?  They complain that yum is
> already running (var/run/yum.pid exists).  Stopping yum-updatesd
> seems to make both of them happy, at least.
>
> This is after a fresh install of FC6TEST3 from CD.
> I don't remember this problem with FC6TEST2,
> but I never used yum-updatesd.  It is clearly auto-started now,
> but I don't know if that is new or not.
>
> If I'm not lame (unlikely) should a bug be filed
> under yum or yum-updatesd? (which?)

I'm not fond of the fact I can't run yum manually if yum-updatesd is
running either, but I can understand why the two yum instances might
collide and hence the restriction. It would be a nice feature if manual
invocation was permitted.

However, that being said I've never been able to get yum-updatesd to do
anything useful such as update my system. I've tweaked some of the
options in the config file in what would seem to be obvious settings to
download and install (do_update=do_download=do_download_deps=yes),
which I think were off by default. But no luck. After a minimal amount
of debugging (throwing in print/log statements) I gave up in favor of
manual yum operation. In fairness this was at least a month ago and I
haven't checked the behavior with the current package. Is there
something I'm missing, have others been successful with yum-updatesd?
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>