Playing videos using Totem.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Sun Sep 17 12:46:07 UTC 2006

Quoting Steven Haigh <netwiz at crc.id.au>:
> Quoting "Robert M. Albrecht" <romal at gmx.de>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> you need the gstreamer and xvid stuff vom livnas development-repo:
>>
>> http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/development/i386/
>
> I did this, however I get video, however I can't get audio to work no
> matter what I do. I've tried both mp3 and AC3 audio, and all videos
> seem to be silent.

Replying to myself, it seems that I needed to have esd running to get
any kind of audio. The interesting thing however is that when I do
this, the video frame-rate becomes VERY jittery to the point that it's
nowhere near fluid video.

CPU usage doesn't seem to be an issue, so I have a feeling that it's
something to do with the interaction between esound and totem.

Has anyone got this working properly? Can totem use alsa? It would be
nice to be able to play multiple sounds at once (gaim sounds + video
for example) however I really can't seem to find a way to be able to
make this happen, and still get acceptable performance...

> Thoughts? Ideas?

As above :)

--
Steven Haigh