FC/6 Test 3 64bit Trouble

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Sep 18 22:33:51 UTC 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, David Burgess wrote:

> Thanks Alan
>
> I'll try and try that if I ever get that far, however I'm having even more
> problems than that.
>
> During the install just after it announces it's searching for previous Fedora
> installations  X  hangs forever at that point.

Have previous installs worked on this machine?  I have not seen that.  I
am using a AMD64 3700+ with 1 gig of ram and a nvidia 440go graphics card
and nforce3 sata chipset.

> I've tried to start in "text" mode and it crashes completely leaving a lot of
> "giberish" (nice technical term) characters and informs me I need to reboot
> my computer.

I get the X crash after I have fixed everything andf have gone through the
"first boot" screen.

If I wiggle the mouse, it then tells me that the x server has died and
leads me through the steps to rebuild the X config.  That seems to fix the
rest of the issues.

Linus refered to this sort of problem as a "paper bag bug".  That is a bug
so bad that when released makes the developer want to wear a paper bag
over their head so they will not be recognised.

> I haven't had this much trouble since Redhat 5.  This seems more like a test
> 1 than what is supposed to be in fact a release candidate.

I have not seen one this obnoxious since Slackware 3.0.