FC6 and laptop suspend/resume: should be a high priority bug

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 23 11:31:40 UTC 2006

José Matos wrote:

>   That is fair. I am curious though, I have the same experience here, several
> of our laptops stopped suspending/hibernating properly after 2.6.16. Just for
> curiosity, what changed in this area and what needs to be done to fix it?

This is frustrating for me too. My take on it is that modern distros
(SLED, Fedora, Ubuntu) are, in desktop terms, ready for prime time,
either matching or exceeding features offered by other O/Ses.

What's needed now is polish on the rough edges and hibernate/suspend is
definitely one of those rough edges. I know that this is a tricky issue
as the kernel architecture doesn't easily lend itself to hibernating and
there's variation in manufacturers' implementation of standards. But
it's 2006, users will expect this...