rhgb freezing computer

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Tue Sep 26 19:37:20 UTC 2006

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 01:29:35PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> Just as an update, I'm still looking into this, it's pretty brutal.  It
>> appears to be a bug in the kernel's VT handling code, which is making my
>> eyes go all crossy.  Hopefully I'll have at least a hacky workaround by
>> the end of the day, in the meantime just disable rhgb.
>
> Any more details and I'll look into the kernel side as I'm working on
> tty and vt locking currently.

The X server is stuck in vt_waitactive(), in TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE.
Somehow it's getting onto the wait queue and then never coming off it.

Amusingly, if I try to attach with gdb or strace, I get -EPERM, the
syscall interrupts, we don't retry the VT_WAITACTIVE ioctl (which is a
bug I suppose) and X carries on loading just fine.  So it feels like
there's some path where we've switched VT without updating fg_console.

- ajax