downloading prerelease, have silly questions while waiting...

Kwan Lowe kwan at digitalhermit.com
Sat Sep 30 02:43:24 UTC 2006

> I'm using ktorrent because it has more junk on the screen to keep
> you occupied while waiting :-). One of the things it displays in the
> status is very similar to other torrent clients, and I've never
> seen any explanation of it. There are two boxes, one labeled
> Leechers: the other labeled Seeders: Inside the boxes are numbers
> like this: 5(10) or 1(1).

From:
http://abhinav.thinknest.com/archives/date/2006/07/

# Seed : A seed is a peer that has a complete copy of the torrent and still offers
it for upload. The more seeds there are, the better the chances are for completion
of the file.
# Leech : A leech is a peer that does not have a complete copy of the torrent yet.
When downloading is complete, it may stay around and seed the file as a seed so that
others can complete their download. The term leech is also used for peers that have
very poor upload/download ratios or leave the swarm immediately after their
downloads are complete. (See Etiquette.) The leeches usually contribute a majority
of the bandwidth in a swarm.

I'm on the torrent now, getting 12KB/s down and pushing 20KB/s up. As people
complete the download it will get faster (hopefully).

It would be great if I could use both my broadband connections to pull the files...

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan at digitalhermit.com