bcm43xx wireless drivers.

Patrick fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 5 16:55:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 01:01 +1000, Steven Haigh wrote:
> Has anyone managed to get a BCM4306 wifi card working with rawhide?
> I've been trying for quite a while, and with just about every firmware
> version I can locate but still not had any luck.
>
> With the latest kernel (2.6.17-1.2617.2.1.fc6), I don't even seem to
> get a list of AP's that are around. From a quick google, it looks as
> though the bcm43xx driver might be a fair bit out of the actual
> bcm43xx development - as there seems to be a patch back in July that
> *may* fix this IRQ issue.

I just gave it a try on my Acer 4005WMLi that is running rawhide as of
two hours ago. The firmware file used with bcm43xx-fwcutter seems to
have an impact on the proper working. I used the wl_apsta.o firmware
file. After that I loaded the bcm43xx module,
configured /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf with my network (uses
WPA-AES/CCMP) and configured /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant with the
proper settings. Then started wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth1
-c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and wpa_gui and amazingly
enough it actually found my AP and authenticated itself successfully and
got an IP address via DHCP. So this method seems to work. Haven't tried
NetworkManager yet but my experience with that so far were not good.

Regards,
Patrick