Impossible to eject dvd?

Filip Tsachev filip.tsachev at fedoraproject.org
Sat Sep 9 18:58:14 UTC 2006

Hi Michal,

On 09/09/06, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
> It should be enough to uncheck in preferences a box which
> controls mounting of removable media.
I know about that box, also not sure if services like automount are related.

> Using the same terminal window you could use gnome-umount
I'll give it a try :)

BTW: what means:
$ gnome-umount --display-settings --device /dev/hda1...
Displaying settings for volume (overrides drive settings)....
There are no settings; you can use --write-settings

Is there GUI?

> and you do not have to be root for that;
Well when for e.g. eject doesn't work, usually only umount as root
helps I'm not sure if root was needed, rather was using the account
for other checks like fstab.

I guess it's different also if I had the cd/dvd in the drive before gnome.

>  but it would be
> more interesting to know why you are having trouble.
> It is possible that something makes a mount point "busy"
Exactly, but it's hard to say, I'll have to check again possibly when
usign some of the media players etc.

> only it is hard to guess what that may be if you are not
> telling.

Cheers,
Filip