Keyboard stops responding when using gnome-terminal

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Mon Sep 11 13:31:38 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've been having this issue for a few days now and it's really gotten
to the point where I can't stand it anymore.. My laptop (a Dell
Inspiron 8600) is having issues where after a while of use with
various apps (usually gaim, gnome-terminal, and firefox), the
keyboard just locks up.

Now I'm not sure what's going on when it does this, as everything
looks normal... the only difference I can tell is that the gnome-
terminal prompt goes from it's normal box to a hollow box. during
this time i can't click on menus or do anything useful.

The one thing I CAN do is to use the keyboard to press CTRL + ALT +
F1 and low and behold, the keyboard works fine again. switch back to
X, and the keyboard doesn't work. rinse, lather, repeat.

There are no obvious things in Xorg.0.log that could indicate what's
going on, however if I kill gnome-terminal with the mouse, everything
comes back to normal. As I do 90% of my work in a terminal, this is
DAMN annoying...

Anyone have any ideas on how to track this down? I've drawn a mental
blank.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au