Seamless "downgrade" from test-brach to final version

Arik Raffael Funke arik.funke at gmx.de
Wed Sep 13 13:55:46 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 September 2006 07:02, Arik Raffael Funke wrote:
>> I will have to set-up a system in the next few days and was wondering
>> whether it is possible to "downgrade" from the test version seamlessly
>> (i.e. without fresh install) once the final version is out?
>
> Its not tested officially nor recommended.  Your milage may vary.

Thanks Jesse. I am maybe lacking imagination, but where will problems
typically arise? If all packages are replaced by their final version,
why is it probable that conflicts will occur? (I am thinking of fairly
advanced testversions that have been feature-frozen, i.e. test4.) Sorry
if this sounds naive... I saw that the wiki does not recommend it, but
it did not explain, why this is a bad idea. :-)

Regards,
Arik