FC6 T3 install woes

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 22:17:47 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-16 at 23:14 +0200, Josep Puigdemont wrote:
> El ds 16 de 09 del 2006 a les 13:04 -0700, en/na listman va escriure:
> > I've tried 2 different dvd iso's (different servers and can not boot
> > either one ( FC-6-Test3-x86_64-DVD.iso)
> > Home built / ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX
> > AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
> > 2048MB corsair XMS 3500LLPro
> > Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200
> > RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
> > eVGA 256-P2-N584-AR Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
> >
> > I then downloaded the cd ISO. I got to the beginning of the install, check
> > the media (was ok) then as soon as it searches for a previous install the
> > screen goes black - can see the cursor still but it just hangs. If I go to
> > the console I see a ton of errors ( how can I export this info)
> > I have tried text and noprobe but I still get the same thing, except in
> > text only mode I cant even read the errors- its just a bunch of strange
> > characters.
>
> I didn't have the problems you face above, but I've seen the strange
> characters in console you mentioned. Here is a picture I took of the
> screen:
> http://dsv.su.se/~icss-jpc/fedora/anaconda01.jpg
>
> I am not 100% sure about it, but the strange characters seem to appear
> after some kernel modules are loaded (I could see raid stuff in the
> second console, although I don't have raid).
>
> The big blue area in the middle of the screenshot is due to the media
> check dialog (which I ran, and was ok). I can't remember if the
> characters in the media check dialog where also strange or not. I think
> they were, but then how could I say that the media check was ok...
> As it can be seen at the bottom, before starting the graphical installer
> the characters appear normally. The rest seemed to work fine (I didn't
> do the whole install).
> I tested the installed on another computer, with very different
> hardware, and I didn't have those issues.

I think this may be a fairly common problem -- I had the exact same
results on a ThinkPad T43.  It seems to be fixed in current Rawhide, but
due to the currently MIA stage2.img you'll be forced to do a text-only
install for now.  I'm not sure, but I think I saw someone mention this
was related to the squashfs memory corruption issue in BZ #206472, et
al.