Shutdown errors about 'logging/handlers.py' .... ?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Sep 29 03:25:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 17:41 -0700, Tom London wrote:
> On 9/28/06, Tom London <selinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Running latest Rawhide.
> >
> > During shutdown, I see 'flashing' on the console several python-type
> > error messages. The best I have been able to copy down is that they
> > complain about
> > /usr/lib/python2.4/logging/handlers.py:677 and :617.  These lines are:
> >
> >                     self._connect_unixsocket(self.address)
> > and
> >             self.socket.connect(address)
> >
> > These messages do not appear anywhere in /var/log that I can find.
> >
> > Can anyone verify this?  I'll try to do a better job grabbing the text
> > of the messages...
> >
> Tracing this out a bit, it appears to be generated just after the
> 'action $"Sending all processes the TERM signal..." /sbin/killall5
> -15' and just before the 'action $"Sending all processes the KILL
> signal..." /sbin/killall5 -9' in /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/S01reboot.
>
> Sound familar to anyone?

It's possible this might be coming from setroubleshootd which uses the
python logging library to write to syslog (the same could be said for
any daemon written in python). But there are two odd things, the code in
the python logging library is wrapped in a try/except so it shouldn't be
generating error messages and if setroubleshootd is the culprit then it
should have been shutdown by init (e.g. service stop) before this point.
The client portion of setroubleshoot (sealert) uses the same code but it
should have been shutdown when the desktop login session was terminated.
Hmm....
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>