Request for Opinion: Bug or feature?

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 05:49:32 UTC 2007

Greetings listlings,

I had some time to install F7test3 from the LiveCD and jotted down a
bunch of issues that I encountered. None of them are particularly
Earth-shttering. I just wanted to pass them by the list to get some
feedback as to whether these are legitimate things worthy of a bug
report or just petty quibbles before I fill out a bunch of bugs that
end up just cluttering up bugzilla due to me being too pedantic or my
lack of understanding:

On Installation:
1) I can start liveinst multiple times simultaneously from the LiveCD.
I could see this leading to very bad things since I doubt that
anaconda was designed with running multiple installations on the same
box simultaneously in mind.
2) I can't exit out of the LiveCD installer easily. The close button
does not work and there is no obvious abort installation button.
2a) The few points where you can exit out (at beginning to initially
bail out of install and post install reboot) mention "Reboot" but it
doesn't actually reboot.
3) In the partitioning screen I get "RAID is not supported on this
platform" when clicking the RAID button. I don't know why since I was
under the impression that I could software RAID multiple partitions on
the same drive if I wanted (not that that would be sane).
4) The scroll wheel does not change magnification on the "select
nearest city in your timezone" map. I would be a better UI if it did.
5) The "Performing post-installation filesystem changes. This may take
several minutes ..." and the "installing bootloader" message are not
in regular message area and have no progress meter. They should be and
they should have. There doesn't seem to be any reason why they are
slapped over top of everything.
6) LiveCD is not automatically ejected on reboot. This is not specific
to post install but post using the LiveCD in general.
7) On shutdown after install, turning off swap denied by SELinux
7a) device busy cannot unmount errors when shutting down LiveCD after
install (maybe due to 7)
8) Beagle started silently indexing my system during the middle of the
installation causing the UI to seriously lag. It took a long time to
figure out what was going on and get the indexing preferences up to
turn off indexing.

On firstboot
9) Smolt message in first boot unclear "Sending your profile will
enable a monthly update." This needs more words of disambiguation. I
initially interpretted this as "Unless you submit to Smolt, no OS
updates for you!" ... then I realized that this was an insane
interpretation ... but those coming from Windows-world might not. Why
is there not three options: Send your Profile now, Send your Profile
Now and once every month, Don't send anything, Nosey!
10) Smolt privacy policy document not found when hitting the privacy
policy button.

In general:
11) RFE: Hardware browser in default LiveCD ... booting to a LiveCD to
check out what kind of hardware a machine has is a major usage case
for me. I would be happy even if the smoltGui was included in the menu
somewhere.
12) After installation, the bluetooth service caused SELinux to thrash
around violently since ithe bluetooth deamon really wanted to use dbus
and SELinux really wanted to not let it. While this was sorted out
with an update already I was thinking about how annoying this would be
if I didn't have access to updates right away. Is dbus access
equivalent to UDP in that you have to program a loop to get it to keep
trying to get some response?

Thoughts?

/Mike