Kernel 2.6 cpufreq-module for nForce2 based mainboards - issues

Filip Tsachev filip.tsachev at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 06:32:27 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 19/04/07, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 02:12:37PM +0300, Filip Tsachev wrote:
>  > >From developer web site @http://www.hasw.net/linux/ :
>  >
>  > "cpufreq-nforce2: Kernel 2.6 cpufreq-module for nForce2 based mainboards
>  > Current version: Included in Kernel 2.6. "
>  >
>  > It's stated that the module is included but what is the problem with
>  > FC7t3 and other recent releases?
>  >
>  > Before I could easily just make and make install cpufreq-nforce2
>  > module, now it does build but it can't be inserted with modprobe.
>  >
>  > Anyone having cpufreq working with nforce2 on recent fedora kernel's?
>  >
>  > Do I have to rebuild my kernel with this module enabled for this to
>  > work instead of trying to add the module?
>  >
>  > It's a pity it's not included in fedora kernels. It works great and
>  > saves the trees ;)
>
> It may work fine for you, but sadly this isn't the case across the board.
> The problem is that we don't have register level documentation for
> nvidia chipsets (same story as their graphic cards), so we've no real
> idea what we're doing, and the driver as it stands today is entirely
> reverse engineered.
> Given there have been upstream reports of instability with it loaded,
> I chose not to enable it in the Fedora kernel to avoid seeing
> undebuggable scenarios.
>
>        Dave
>
> --
> http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
>
> --

Thanks for your reply Dave,
Unfortunatelly I spend days and days trying to recompile the kernel in
the past and having various errors (Also followed & participated in
the fedora forum kernel rebuild thread)... And the sad thing for me is
that if I get to rebuild it, you release a new one ;)

Anyway can you tell me if building the module should work or
rebuilding fedora kernel with new config would be better?

Thanks in advance!

--
Cheers,
Filip