Kernel panic: LVM not working in kernel since 2.6.20-1.3069 -- Repost

Andy Baumhauer abaumhau at neo.rr.com
Mon Apr 23 02:37:24 UTC 2007

Thanks Dave,

It turns out to be a mkinitrd bug.

After analyzing the two nash init scripts in the initrd files attached, I
noticed that the working one had lvm commands, and the other did not (as I
suspected). After studying and debugging the mkinitrd script, I isolated the
problem to the following function call:

lvshow() {
lvm.static lvs --ignorelockingfailure --noheadings -o vg_name \
$1 2>/dev/null | egrep -v '^ *(WARNING:|Volume Groups with)'
}

The problem stems from my /etc/fstab having all of the LVM partitions called
with LABEL=/, LABEL=/var, and LABEL=/home. The lvshow function
(lvm.static lvs)
does not support LABEL=/ to locate a volume group.

The work-around was to change LABEL=/ to /dev/mapper/VolumeGroup00-root
and this
was enough to output the correct nash script to start LVM at boot.

The permanent fix is to determine if Fedora is going to use LABEL=/ in fstab
(and use it in /etc/crypttab), and if so, fix the mkinitrd function to
locate
LVM volume groups by label.

Andy