pretty emacs

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Wed Apr 25 02:35:24 UTC 2007

Leo wrote:
> ----- Marc Schwartz (2007-04-25) wrote:-----
>
>>> I'd also support enable gtk by default.
>>>
>>> XFT is not supported in Emacs 22 AFAIK.
>> It is, but it's better in 23 where it has been merged into the main
>> Unicode trunk.
>
> I didn't know that.
>
> But have you seen this bug when using XFT font:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/18219
>
> It happens with Emacs 23 which makes it rather painful to use.

I don't use w3m so I cannot attest to the problem, however there was a
post on the gnu.emacs.help group just today which pointed out this page
on the emacs wiki, which you might find helpful:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/w3m

I use Bitstream fonts for everything (Vera Sans Mono for the default),
so it is possible that I would not see the issues raised with some of
the fonts used in the post you referred to.

I use 23 with ECB, PSVN and ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics) for R
(http://www.r-project.org/) and it has been rock solid for me. About the
only thing that I had to do somewhat differently is to use the updated
pre-release CEDET tools and the ECB snap-shot release for 23.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz