F7t4: GNOME locks up after panel reconfig and sounds added

Steven I Usdansky usdanskys at rocketmail.com
Fri Apr 27 15:27:25 UTC 2007

Not sure which component this bug should be filed against, so I'll start here.
I booted the Test 4 CD into runlevel 3, ran startx to enter GNOME,
reconfigured the panels to my preferred configuration, and opened the control
panel and enabled sounds. All seemed well.  I then exited GNOME, and followed
that up with a startx command. Upon restart, no panels were visible, and the
system locked up after I right-clicked on the desktop. The problem also occurs
with F7t3/GNOME; FC6 is problem-free.

possibly relevant output from lspci:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE
Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 81)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface
Bridge (rev01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus
Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)