Initial FC7t4 impressions

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Sat Apr 28 21:16:51 UTC 2007

On Apr 27, 2007, at 10:44 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:

> The good
> --------
>
> Hey! It recognized my DVD drive this time, I didn't have to
> install from hard disk.

Hooray!

> Even more amazing, I turn on desktop effects, and for the
> first time ever, they have worked with every application I've
> tried so far

Double hooray!

> Dependency checking on packages is indeed faster, I'd now call
> it merely annoying rather than glacial :-).

Heh, yeah. AFAIK we just got some more yum speedups in rawhide so it
should be even quicker now. We're hoping it'll be faster still by F7
final.

> If you are gonna
> have an app that runs forever like the updater does, the last
> thing on earth it should ever do is grab focus. By the time it
> wants input, people have forgotten it is even running.

Until we've downloaded the packages, I'm not sure there's any way to
tell if any of them are signed with a key that we haven't imported
yet. So that's a tough nut to crack.

Luckily, though, this should be a non-issue after The Great Merge -
unless I'm mistaken, everything will be signed with the same, already-
included key.

> The IMSmap screensaver (I downloaded all the screensavers from
> extras to beat on the ATI driver) locks up the system for
> several minutes. I can move the cursor, but nothing else
> responds, not even Ctrl-Alt-F1. As I was reaching for the
> reset button after trying lots of stuff, the Ctrl-Atl-F1
> finally happened, so I went ahead and logged in and typed
> "reboot" to get back here into FC6.

Weird. Did you file a bug?

> Will you for God's sake figure out what category the
> "terminal" application belongs in and leave it there!  Every
> single release I have to play "find the terminal" (better yet,
> put it in the panel by default - that's the first thing I
> always do :-). Did you pickup this habit from Microsoft, who
> also moves the "console" entry around in every single Windows
> release?

It's not us - it's the GNOME folks that make that call. Personally I
like it where it is now, the same place it was in FC5, in the "System
Tools" menu. If it was up to me, we'd keep it there forever.

As for putting it on the panel.. I think we're aiming to avoid that.
*I* sure spend a lot of time in the terminal, but most folks don't.
Nor should they have to. I think if my dad is reaching for the
terminal that often, we've screwed up somehow.

> The ugly
> --------
>
> The 3 icons for office apps that show up in the gnome panel
> (word processor, presentation, spreadsheet) are, without a
> doubt, the ugliest icons I have ever seen. They are garish
> colors that clash with everything else I see on the screen
> when I first login, and they look like they are drunk and
> about to fall over.

Yeah, they're yucky. But this should already be fixed in an update,
as Matthias mentioned.

Glad your install went so well. Thanks for the report!

- -w