fc7t4: still eating babies?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Apr 29 11:43:27 UTC 2007

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 13:22:08 +0200
"Benjamin Kosnik" <bkoz at redhat.com> wrote:

> Any pointers on how to get drive two bootable again? Drive two is an
> up-to-date FC6 install, or used to be.

Windows is doing this all the time to people, so there are lots of
web pages out there with instructions on how to fix grub after a windows
install, and the same instructions work for a linux install.

Here's the info I've used several times (but you need to make sure
you modify the disk and partition numbers appropriately):

Boot off x86 fedora dvd.

Type linux rescue, answer all the questions, might as well skip
mounting any partitions.

grub
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
quit
exit

However, I've recently seen a completely different problem than grub
getting borked. Somehow, at some random time, the boot order of the
disks in my bios gets scrogged. Whenever I can't boot, I've now learned
I need to go into the bios, and put back the original disk order.
I don't know if this is something in fedora poking a stick in my bios
flash memory, or just the first signs of the flash memory going bad.
It did seem to start happening right about the time I first installed
an fc7 test release.