fc7t4: still eating babies?

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Sun Apr 29 14:19:07 UTC 2007

Tom Horsley írta:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:23:42 +0200
> Zoltan Boszormenyi <zboszor at freemail.hu> wrote:
>

>> There shouldn't be such confusion, the second installation
>> always uses labels like /usr1 , /boot1 , etc. if told to use
>> different partitions.
>>

> Good theory, but there are lots of ways to fool it. Two
> I have encountered just recently: Pull all but one disk
> out of a server chassis to make sure the new install doesn't
> clobber existing disk, then put them all back and try to
> reboot. Install under Xen with a single physical disk
> mapped in as the disk for the install, then try to reboot
> the xen server later and discover duplicate labels.

It's clearly a case for "Doctor, it hurts when I do this. - Then don't
do it."

Once I did the same to install 32- and 64-bit versions of FC2
on the same machine later discovering the mess I created for myself
by doing this. Then it turned out that anaconda detects partitions
and their labels but doesn't clobber them if told not to use them.
You can use manual partitioning today, too.
You cannot expect the machine to read you mind. Yet. :-)