Fedora 7 Test 4 GNOME based i386 Live CD report

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 30 09:22:07 UTC 2007

Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>> Why on earth do you think firefox, evolution and OOo don't make sense
>>> for Fedora users ? The only reason OOo is not on the livecd is space.
>> I didn't say it does not make sense. Only that there are other
>> applications more frequently compared to OO.o presentation or
>> spreadsheet programs. You can look at mugshot stats at
>> http://mugshot.org/applications for some idea.
>>
>> Firefox, Evolution, Openoffice.org writer, Gaim and Gnome terminal or
>> Rhythmbox would be more appropriate IMO.
>
> Um, I may be missing something, Rahul, but your quote above says
> *verbatim* that those applications "make sense for RHEL but not for
> Fedora."

That was in reference to the current selection of default applications
in the GNOME panel.

And remember that the application usage you reference comes
> from Mugshot, and not from the general base of all Fedora users, so it's
> statistically very questionable as a basis for making decisions about
> which applications to {in,ex}clude.

It is a metric which gives you an idea unless you have something better.

  Besides, isn't the Live CD spin the
> answer to this issue?

How?

> I'm further confused that you go on to contradict your earlier statement
> about including Firefox and Evolution.

Some applications make sense for both Fedora and RHEL so that's not a
contradiction.

As far as OO.o goes, once you've
> got oo.o-core in a spin, it makes absolutely no sense to leave out
> -calc, -draw, and -impress.

Who said anything about leaving out? I am talking about *icons on the
GNOME panel*.

> If it weren't for the inevitable outcry from the more paranoid
> user/developer contingent, I'd say it might be useful to break out the
> application reporting component of Mugshot, anonymize it, and give users
> the ability to turn only that bit on:

Already suggested in fedora-desktop list. Mugshot team does not seem to
be interested in doing that. We need a different application for this.

Rahul