Fedora 7 Test 4 GNOME based i386 Live CD report

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 15:10:32 UTC 2007

> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 14:52 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >
> >> And remember that the application usage you reference comes
> >> It is a metric which gives you an idea unless you have something better.
> >
> > But it is not clear at all how to interpret the data. The mere fact that
> > the terminal shows up high on the list does not tell you that  you must
> > make the terminal easier available.
>
> No but it shows up some trends. It maybe showing that the desktop is not
> very usable currently without the terminal. If you want to collect
> better stats then we need to provide a way similar to smolt that gives
> us a optional way to keep track of which packages are being installed or
> used more without tying it with mugshot. Would you be interested in that?

Or it may be showing that the small percentage of users running Mugshot,
who probably skew *way* toward the developers and technical folks
involved in Fedora, use the terminal a lot out of habit.  And yes, the
smolt-ish app tracker is exactly what I proposed.

> > Ah, that wasn't clear to me at all. In that case, I tend to agree a bit
> > more. But the answer may be more radical, like doing away with the top
> > panel, and replace it with bigboard.

I also thought it was unclear, but I agree that the panel choices are a
bit dated.  A bigboard that intelligently puts users more in touch with
what they want to do is a great idea.