F7t4 - intel driver doesn't seem to hot-swap displays

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 15:04:42 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 13:22 -0700, Per Bothner wrote:
> I thought the big feature of the new "intel" driver was its
> ability to hot-swap displays.  It doesn't seem to work for me, though I
> realize this is beta code, and perhaps it isn't expected to work yet.
> (If it is expected to work, I can file  bugzilla report and provide
> more details.)
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron R1405 with a 945GM chipsset and a 1440x900
> screen.  If I boot with my external monitor (ViewSonic, 1600x1200)
> plugged in, then the external monitor is recognized, and 1600x1200
> is used.  The laptop  mirrors the external monitor.  It would be nice
> to be able to show separate screens (with nvidia calls "twinview"),
> but I haven't figured out how to do that, and it's not that important
> to me.
>
> What would be nice is being able to plug in an external monitor *after*
> X has started, and have it be recognized, and used at full 1600x1200
> resolution.  When if I unplug the external monitor, I should be back
> to the laptop, at 1440x900 resolution.

We don't have automatic plug detection quite wired up yet.  And we never
will, for some monitor types, because it would require polling, which is
usually not a price in battery life that people are willing to pay.

The new version of the xrandr command line tool should give you enough
rope to hang yourself here.  Something like

% xrandr --output LVDS --auto

maybe?

- ajax