hdparm returns HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 23:48:00 UTC 2007

Following the advice below
 Make sure the DMA is enabled for your DVD-ROM,
  otherwise playback will be 'jumpy'.

[root at localhost ~]# hdparm -d1 /dev/scd0

/dev/scd0:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[root at localhost ~]# hdparm -d1 /dev/cdrom

/dev/cdrom:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[root at localhost ~]#

The cdrom device is no longer /dev/hdX where X can be any letter and now by using k3b I found out that scd0 is the new name.  This reminds me of FreeBSD, the new naming conventions.  The hard drive now is /dev/sdX where X , yes I saw this before no worries.  What does this "Inappropriate ioctl for device" mean?

Regards,

Antonio