BCM43XX Firmware in F7T3

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Apr 7 00:54:03 UTC 2007

Christopher A. Williams <chrisw <at> cawllc.com> writes:
> kernel: bcm43xx: Firmware: no support for microcode extracted from
> version 4.x binary drivers.

The softmac version of the bcm43xx driver wants a firmware revision <=3.x, the
mac80211 (Devicescape 802.11 stack) version of the driver wants a firmware
revision 4.x. (It's not directly related to the underlying 802.11 stack, it's
just that the mac80211 version is the development version of the driver, the
softmac version is the stable one.) Apparently, you previously got the mac80211
version and now get the softmac version of the driver for some reason.

Unfortunately, I can't answer the question you'll probably have next, which is
why you suddenly got a different version of the driver as the default. I know
the F7 Rawhide kernels are shipping both 802.11 stacks, and bcm43xx is one of
the drivers present in both, but I don't know how the kernel decides which of
the drivers to load. That's probably a question for the Fedora kernel
maintainers.

        Kevin Kofler