gtkhtml38 erased on last yum update

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 20:36:26 UTC 2007

Michael Schwendt (mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de) said:
> > Essentially, you're saying that any package which requires a versioned
> > API should, rather than having a build requirement on the package,
> > should have a build *file* requirement on either one of the include
> > files, or the pkg-config file. Because, well, the package that provides
> > it might have a name change.
> >
> > Is that *seriously* what you're suggesting?
>
> Where do you see such a suggestion?

It's the logical conclusion. If:

1) the package providing the new capability can't Provide: the old
   version of the package
2) you don't want to have to change requiring packages in the case
   of such a move

... the only solution left is file deps. I suppose you could have
magic gtkhtml(abi)-3.8 provides or something. But that's just
as odd.

> Why do you flame me (also in bug 236009)?

It's not you personally. I just find the fact that there is *no* way
to perform such an upgrade without either a) changing all requiring
packages b) modifying them to use file requirements to be a bad
solution.

But, eh. rpm broken, film at 11.

Bill