pretty emacs

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Wed Apr 25 15:09:13 UTC 2007

Leo wrote:
> ----- Marc Schwartz (2007-04-25) wrote:-----
>
>> I don't use w3m so I cannot attest to the problem
>
> Start Emacs with 'emacs -Q -fn "monospace:pixelsize=16" and then 'C-u 3 2
> M-x hanoi'. Have you seen the screen flickering in Emacs 22 with XFT?
> i.e. if there is no such problem I will second enable XFT by default ;)

No flickering in 23.  I have not used 22 in some time however, but I
have no recollection of flickering with it.

FWIW, here is my script to build 23 from CVS. Note that I build and use
it locally, so as to not overwrite the current FC6 stable version. Hence
the use of the lisp path configure option, etc.

# watch for line wrap here

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -r
emacs-unicode-2 emacs

cd emacs

# Watch for line wrap here

./configure --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp --with-gtk
--with-xft --enable-font-backend

make bootstrap

make

Then what I do is to create a script called emacs.xft and put it into
~/bin.  This contains:

# Watch for line wrap here

/PATH_TO/emacs/src/emacs --enable-font-backend -fn 'Bitstream Vera Sans
Mono' $@

I then set my default text editor, etc. to this script.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz