Fedora 7 Test 4 GNOME based i386 Live CD report

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Apr 28 01:05:11 UTC 2007

Hi

Just installed the F7 T4 GNOME based i386 live cd and here are some of
my observations after playing with it for a day.

* You do not need to accept the EULA anymore. It just has a pointer to
the wiki link instead of including the text.

* Smolt integration UI is good and works well. Noticed that it said it
would update the profile automatically on a monthly basis. My test
system profile is

http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/show?UUID=492900d9-5ee0-441c-9792-fc2ecc86aa5d

* Look and feel is good. Flying high theme with Mist based icon set.

* Firefox and Evolution are the default panel applications but seem to
be using the old Blue Curve icons.

* Network manager (nm-applet) is enabled by default

* Blog, stock ticker, bittorrent and gparted applications installed by
default

* fast user switcher applet is on the panel by default and shows up on
the lock screen. too.

* Multiple locales and input methods available by default

* Abiword does not crash on startup anymore. gnumeric is also available
but we are missing a small presentation program to complete this sort of
mini office suite.

* Beagle is installed by default and replaces gnome-search-tool on the
UI like the previous release. Might be better to keep these entries
separate.

* gThumb and GIMP are available by default but not f-spot.

* Pigdin has replaced Gaim. Has new icons and a better interface.

* Wodim has replaced cdrecord. cdrecord is a symlink to wodim and works
as expected.

* New application, system-config-selinux is available under
administration. Looks pretty comprehensive. SELinux boolean
configuration has been removed from system-config-securitylevel and is
now available in this tool. Title says "system-config-selinux.py"
instead of just "system-config-selinux" which is a minor wart in the UI.

* Places and /home/<user> is filled by default folders for documents,
video etc. Might look less cluttered if those default folder were under
a common parent. /home/<user>/personal/<default folders> for example.

* Preferences menu is organized into multiple categories now. The
central control panel that GNOME includes is disabled by default
(upstream inherited) but can be enabled using alacarte. Menu editor is a
entry now in the preferences menu.

* Yum is faster. Pirut and Pup UI does not appear to hang anymore.

* About Fedora menu entry uses old wordings and says Fedora people
instead of Planet Fedora as we have agreed upon now for consistency.

* nautilus-open-terminal extension was not installed by default unlike
previous live cd releases.

* SCIM input icon doesnt show up on the system tray unlike the previous
test release. Default is showing on demand but setting it to show always
does not make it show up on the system tray.

* nautilus has crashed more than once during login including the
previous test releases with some vague bonobo error which I did not note
down. Anyone else seeing this?

* Turning on desktop effects immediately makes it crash Xorg

* shutdown entry showed up twice as first and last entries in the system
menu just once.

Rest later,
Rahul