sd, sd, who's got the sd

Styma, Robert E (Robert) stymar at alcatel-lucent.com
Sun Apr 29 18:42:39 UTC 2007

> > Is there a method to the madness?
>
> This is why we use disk labels or UUIDs instead of device names. With
> changes like this in the kernel and especially with machines with
> removable drives, or machines using fancy multipath storage,
> it's nearly
> impossible to reliably predict exactly what order the drives will be
> found in.
>
> So the solution is: just give the partitions names instead. Then it
> doesn't matter if your FC6 root drive is sda1 or sdb1 or hdc1, it's
> always LABEL=fc6_root. If you say "mount LABEL=fc6_root /fc6"
> it will Do
> The Right Thing.
>
> So, in short, it doesn't matter how the two FC7 systems will
> detect the
> new drive, so long as you give it a useful label.

I have been trying to get a handle on how this works to see if
I can break it.  Replacing the IDE drivers with something
radically different is playing with fire.  I have a SCSI card
laying around somewhere I may put in the test machine just to
see what that does.  (This is the fedora-test-list right?)

Bob Styma
Phoenix, AZ