vtty screen resolution / font trouble

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 15:28:59 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 06:30 -0700, das wrote:
> hallo ajax, thanks for the response. after thinking
> about it (and trying f7t4 fresh) i have two comments:
>
> 1) this is pretty serious as vtty's are often handy to
> kill off procs in X that lock up the server.

Meh.  If you have a process that does that, it's preferable that the
process gets fixed, rather than working around it.  Not that I don't
understand the appeal, just that you're treating the symptom not the
disease.

> 2) during boot we can go from X to vtty showing boot
> details with that graphical border just fine so it
> should be possible - right ?

If you're referring to the screen you get when you click "Show Details"
or whatever during rhgb, then no, that's not text mode.  That's a vte
widget embedded into the rhgb process' window.

VT switch is a much more violent act.

There's been at least one case we've seen of BIOSes doing horribly wrong
things in our VBE save/restore path.  The workaround was to disable the
"extended" save/restore bits for some cards.  (Yes, in a generic driver.
God I hate vesa.)  I'll see if doing the same for R500 works.

In the meantime, doing "vbetool post" once you've switched back to text
mode might work, but might also break X horribly.  Try it and see!

- ajax