sd, sd, who's got the sd - f7 work required before release!

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Apr 30 16:15:32 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 10:28:43PM +1000, David Timms wrote:

> After much searching "label lvm partition" etc in google with little
> result,

Hm.  Did you try before this 'man -k label'?  On a resulting list
it is not difficult to notice entries like:

e2label              (8)  - Change the label on an ext2/ext3 filesystem
findfs               (8)  - Find a filesystem by label or UUID
mlabel               (1)  - make an MSDOS volume label

If you will peek at 'e2label' you will notice too:

SEE ALSO
       mke2fs(8), tune2fs(8)

If you happen to use other file systems with no label provisions
this can be a bigger headache.

> * lvm ?
>   - is an lvm label the same as a partition label ?
>   - if not can it be used in the same way ?

LVM presents to you "logical" volume devices.  Changes in
underlying physical devices are handled by LVM transparently
(which is easy to see if you would ever try).

> * need to be able to set the labels in anaconda partitioning - currently
> you can set the mount point - but not the label.

You are correct here.  Anaconda does generate non-conflicting labels
but for obvious reasons this works only with devices already
present.  It does "oh, this label is already present so lets add
some suffix" without any further considerations so labels can end
somewhat messy from your POV. If you are adding later a device which
filesystem labels created elsewhere you have to be careful and check
for conflicts before rebooting or you may end up with a big mess on
hands; although booting 'single' is usually enough to make possible
to straighten that out.

I was complaining years ago that an option to pick up your own
labels is missing and I was ignored.  Probably it was felt thas this
would impinge on an "ease of use".  In practice this is indeed not
such big deal.  A need to change filesystem labels is not an
everyday occurence and more extensive label modifications are
trivially scriptable.

   Michal