Kernel Panic

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 19:52:18 UTC 2007

On 12/08/07, Chris Schumann <chris at idlelion.net> wrote:
> > On Behalf Of Christopher Brown
> > Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:34 PM
>
> > On 11/08/07, Chris Schumann <chris at idlelion.net> wrote:
> > > I'm testing F8T1 on a ThinkPad 600X. It unsurprisingly didn't
> > > recognize my Atheros-based 802.11g card, so I thought I'd try a
> > > LinkSys 16-bit 802.11b card (WPC11 v1, IIRC) that has
> > worked in older
> > > versions of Fedora Core.
> > >
> > > I got a kernel panic while booting, so I removed the card
> > and rebooted.
> > > I waited until it was looking for new hardware, inserted
> > the card, and
> > > the machine locked up with the blinking keyboard indicators.
> > >
> > > Is there a trick to using a 16-bit WiFi card in a CardBus
> > machine? Is
> > > it just this card? Is this a new bug?
> >
> > Taking things back a few steps, have you tried using the
> > proprietary atheros driver for the original card? Kernel
> > modules are available from various third-party repositories...
>
> I haven't yet tried it with F8T1.
>
> It would be nice to get WiFi working, but that's not strictly an F8 problem.
> The kernel panic using my 16-bit card is, and it would be nice if that would
> work.

Fair enough. In that case my method of resolving would be to identify
card chipset, install driver using whatever method necessary and then
boot with card inserted. If computer won't boot at all you are in the
realms of rescue disks, chroots and such I would say.

Regards
Chris

--
http://www.chruz.com