yum gone crazy!

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 04:50:02 UTC 2007

On 7/31/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:38:38 -0500
> "Paul Johnson" <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why is it trying to remove kernel module for the CURRENTLY RUNNING
> > kernel, 2.6.22.1_33.fc7, even though it does not propose to remove
> > that kernel? And why is it removing the xorg packages.  That's
> > absolutely nuts.
>
> Can't speak to the running kernel issue, however it's clearly removing
> the xorg-x11-drv-nvidia packages as they /depend/ upon kmod-nvidia, and
> there may not be a new kmod-nvidia for your new kernel.
>

> Jesse Keating

I think you have it backwards.   The xorg-x11-drv-nvidia gets
installed first, and the livna package for the proprietary nvidia
driver goes in after, and it depends on xorg-x11-drv-nvidia.

I'll prove it to you by removing an old kernel and a kernel module
from the CLI with rpm.

Observe: no errors here!

# rpm -e kernel-2.6.22.1-20.fc7 kmod-nvidia-100.14.11-1.2.6.22.1_20.fc7
#

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science