20070803 changes and suspend/hibernate

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Aug 3 21:41:16 UTC 2007

It appears that as a result of 20070803 changes on my "Shut Down"
dialog reappeared buttons for "Suspend" and "Hibernate".  That is
nice but there is a catch.  Pushing "Hibernate" does not have
any visible effect at all.  The same with "Suspend" but once
an alert jumped out telling me that my computer failed to suspend
and offering to send me to a quirks web page.

That would be somewhat understandable if not one thing.  If I will
run directly /usr/sbin/pm-suspend then my test machine suspends, and
restores, just fine.  Similarly after /usr/sbin/pm-hibernate
although from time to time this may "forget" to turn a power off
when everything else is done (and things will be restored after a
power off/on cycle, as expected).  Also buttons in questions used to
work until a rawhide upgrade directly after F7 release made them to
vanish even with /usr/sbin/pm-suspend and /usr/sbin/pm-hibernate
still operational.

I would file a bug report but I have no idea what may be really
responsible for what I am seeing.  Any ideas?

   Michal