reducing power usage of Fedora - how you can help!

Ronald Warsow rwarsow at online.de
Sun Aug 12 21:41:19 UTC 2007

Justin W wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> 4) Report the results. You can add reports here, on #fedora-devel,
>>    or to the upstream powertop community at power at bughost.org or
>>    #powertop on irc.oftc.net.
> I read at Intel's site about powertop that having activities in C-states
> 3 and 4 are best, but I don't have either.  I'm curious as to know why I

from
http://ww.linuxpowertop.org/faq.php
(middle of the page)

Q.
I see only C0, C1, and C2. Why don't the other C-states show?

A.
It's mostly a BIOS thing. Some BIOS hide C3/C4 when on AC power, and
others show only C3 which is really a C4 underneath when on battery.
Note that the 'max_cstate:C8' value in /proc/acpi/processor/*/power
tells the maximum number of C-states the Linux kernel can handle, not
the number of C-states implemented in your hardware.

--
      Ronald