reducing power usage of Fedora - how you can help!

dragoran drago01 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 08:39:06 UTC 2007

On my laptop (core2duo based) S06cpuspeed causes 100 wakeups/sec .
Seems like its already noted here:
http://linuxpowertop.org/known.php#ondemand
"Intel fixed this and the patches to the kernel to effectively remove
this timer are included in Linus' tree as of 2.6.22-rc1." I am running
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 which should already have this changes but it seems the
problem isn't solved yet.
doing the suggested
"
cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq

cat ondemand/sampling_rate_max > ondemand/sampling_rate
"
does fix the wakeups (S06cpuspeed) is no longer on the list ..
but it takes some seconds for the cpu to change pstate running glxgears 2-3 seconds
later cpu goes to 2.17ghz closing it I have to wait other 2-3 second to be back at 1ghz
without the "fix" it does this almost immediately.
any idea how this can be fixed?