reducing power usage of Fedora - how you can help!

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 15:51:11 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham schrieb:
> Would you like your laptop battery to last longer? Would you like your
> servers to use less electricity? We certainly would. So we're investigating
> and fixing Fedora to use less juice.

Power usage (5 minute ACPI estimate) :  48 W

# nvclock -S 15
New Smartdimmer level: 15%

Power usage (5 minute ACPI estimate) :  25 W

# hciconfig hci0 down ; rmmod hci_usb
#  modprobe -r firewire_ohci
# service pcscd stop
# mount -o remount,noatime /
# hal-disable-polling /dev/scd0
# service cpuspeed stop
# echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
# ethtool -s eth0 wol d
# rmmod uhci_hcd
# echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
# killall mixer_applet2
Power usage (5 minute ACPI estimate) :  18 W

# iwpriv eth1 set_power 1

Power usage (5 minute ACPI estimate) :  12 W

Though the numbers may be not accurate, we see what saves us the most...