what are my chances of getting wireless working on F8T1?

Dino Leonardo Sangoi dino at trieste.linux.it
Wed Aug 15 21:05:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:22:52 -0400 (EDT)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Dino Sangoi wrote:
>
> > Robert P. J. Day <rpjday <at> mindspring.com> writes:
> >

> > > don't worry -- this has been hashed out thoroughly on the fedora
> > > list, and i now have a relatively accurate wiki entry explaining
> > > the process:
> > >
> > > http://www.linux-games.ca/wiki/index.php/Rday%27s_installing_Broadcom_4318_wifi
> >
> > Nice! I will bookmark this link, so I enlight other poor bcm43xx
> > owners.
>
> sure, my pleasure, but one caveat -- that page will soon be moving to
> be under my new (and under construction) web page for my company:
>
>   http://crashcourse.ca
>
> where there's a link called "Goodies" at the top that will take
> readers to a wiki where i'm going to be collecting little tutorials
> that i write just like that.  in short, the more reliable way to find
> little HOWTOs that i write from now on will definitely be thru the
> crashcourse site, so you should bookmark that URL instead.

Ok, I will bookmark the crashcourse link then... Thanks!

> > Just a few comments:
> >
> > To configure the device using system-config-network, after you have
> > the firmware, add something like this to /etc/modprobe.conf
> >
> > ---- cut here
> > alias wlan0 bcm43xx-mac80211
>                      ^  (that should be a "_", right? :-)

Believe it or not, it should work both ways! the module-init-tools for
kernel 2.6.x ignores the difference between '_' and '-'... a bit
strange, but very handy, because '-' is easier to type than '_', and
you are not forced to remember if the module is called
'bcm43xx_mac80211' or 'bcm43xx-mac80211'.

[SNIP]

> > Talking about NetworkManager: after the device has the correct
> > firmware, a simple 'service NetworkManager start' should be enough.
>
> wouldn't you need to also start NetworkManagerDispatcher as well?  (i
> admit that i don't really know how those two services work, but if i
> can hook all this configuration into the GUI, i'd be happy.)

Well, networkmanager is black magic also for me, I can only say that
starting only NetworkManager works for me... but maybe I was always
missing something.
I find NetworkManager very useful when I need to switch between wired
and wireless connections, because it does everything automatically, and
when I need to connect to WPA-protected wireless networks.
For stable, seldom changing connections I still prefer
system-config-network... maybe because I'm a old-school linux user...

Dino