sound problems with latest updates in f8test

stan eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
Sat Aug 18 21:42:05 UTC 2007

dragoran wrote:

> On 8/18/07, *stan* <eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
> <mailto:eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net>> wrote:
>
>     dragoran wrote:
>     >
>     > On 8/18/07, *stan* <eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
>     <mailto:eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net>
>     > <mailto:eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net <mailto:eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Hi,
>     >
>     >     I have an application that opens the sound card.  With the
>     latest
>     >     updates it will still open it as default device but can no
>     longer open
>     >     it as plughw:0,0.  The error I get is
>     >     cannot open audio device "plughw:0,0" (Device or resource busy)
>     >
>     >     When I run powertop, I see that the driver has a lot of
>     interrupts
>     >     even
>     >     though there is no sound running.
>     >     Top causes for wakeups:
>     >       43.9% (100.6)       <interrupt> : ohci_hcd:usb2, eth0
>     >       20.5% ( 46.9)       <interrupt> : ICE1724
>     >        9.6% ( 22.0)       <interrupt> : libata
>     >        6.4% ( 14.6)   at-spi-registry : schedule_timeout
>     (process_timeout)
>     >        4.6% ( 10.5)                 X : do_setitimer (it_real_fn)
>     >        4.4% ( 10.0)   /usr/bin/sealer : schedule_timeout
>     (process_timeout)
>     >
>     >     Perhaps this is normal, but given the device busy error
>     above it makes
>     >     me suspicious that there is something wrong.
>     >
>     >     Sound plays normally using audio player, but it uses the
>     default
>     >     device.  I notice that the usage drops by about half for
>     ICE1724 when
>     >     the sound is playing.
>     >
>     >     I'll probably do a debug of this at some point and post any
>     findings.
>     >
>     >
>     > that may be related to the pulse audio changes you have to use
>     default
>     > to play sound with alsa.
>     >
>     >
>     That isn't good.  Default automatically runs the sound through dmix.
>     And it has a set frame rate of
>     48000.  Other rates are software resampled.  I want to avoid that and
>     only use the hardware sample rates
>     so that there is no resampling on the sound.
>
>     Is there a way to configure sound with pulse audio to avoid this,
>     or do
>     I have to remove pulse audio in order to
>     get direct access to alsa?
>
>     Thanks.
>

> try running pasuspend before running your app.

I don't find that app.  I find pasuspender, but it wants me to connect
to a server.  I installed everything pulseaudio related except for the
esound compatibility module.  That had a conflict with esound which is
already installed.  Haven't tried removing pulseaudio yet, I suppose
that is next.  Unless you have any other suggestions?