sound problems with latest updates in f8test

stan eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
Sat Aug 18 23:21:03 UTC 2007

stan wrote:
> dragoran wrote:
>>

>> On 8/18/07, *stan* <eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
>> <mailto:eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     dragoran wrote:
>>     >
>>     > On 8/18/07, *stan* <eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
>>     <mailto:eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net>
>>     > <mailto:eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net <mailto:eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net>>>
>> wrote:
>>     >
>>     >     Hi,
>>     >
>>     >     I have an application that opens the sound card.  With the
>>     latest
>>     >     updates it will still open it as default device but can no
>>     longer open
>>     >     it as plughw:0,0.  The error I get is
>>     >     cannot open audio device "plughw:0,0" (Device or resource
>> busy)
>>     >
>>     >     When I run powertop, I see that the driver has a lot of
>>     interrupts
>>     >     even
>>     >     though there is no sound running.
>>     >     Top causes for wakeups:
>>     >       43.9% (100.6)       <interrupt> : ohci_hcd:usb2, eth0
>>     >       20.5% ( 46.9)       <interrupt> : ICE1724
>>     >        9.6% ( 22.0)       <interrupt> : libata
>>     >        6.4% ( 14.6)   at-spi-registry : schedule_timeout
>>     (process_timeout)
>>     >        4.6% ( 10.5)                 X : do_setitimer (it_real_fn)
>>     >        4.4% ( 10.0)   /usr/bin/sealer : schedule_timeout
>>     (process_timeout)
>>     >
>>     >     Perhaps this is normal, but given the device busy error
>>     above it makes
>>     >     me suspicious that there is something wrong.
>>     >
>>     >     Sound plays normally using audio player, but it uses the
>>     default
>>     >     device.  I notice that the usage drops by about half for
>>     ICE1724 when
>>     >     the sound is playing.
>>     >
>>     >     I'll probably do a debug of this at some point and post any
>>     findings.
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > that may be related to the pulse audio changes you have to use
>>     default
>>     > to play sound with alsa.
>>     >
>>     >
>>     That isn't good.  Default automatically runs the sound through dmix.
>>     And it has a set frame rate of
>>     48000.  Other rates are software resampled.  I want to avoid that
>> and
>>     only use the hardware sample rates
>>     so that there is no resampling on the sound.
>>
>>     Is there a way to configure sound with pulse audio to avoid this,
>>     or do
>>     I have to remove pulse audio in order to
>>     get direct access to alsa?
>>
>>     Thanks.

> [...]
Well, I removed everything pulseaudio related and the problem was still
there.  Yesterday there was an update to both the kernel and all of the
alsa packages.  Suspicion moves there.  The last production version of
alsa-lib on Fedora 7 had disabled support for all floating point sound
formats.  Perhaps a similar regression has happened with the new version.